Someday I’ll learn how actually to quilt with triangles, but until then, I’ll keep winging it.
The pattern for this quilt was pretty straightforward. I wasn’t sure how exactly to layout all the colors, and I was working with some bold patterns, so I started with what I saw as the “background.”
I cut out triangles of the other colors and placed them throughout. I had more of the solid color brown triangles to try and balance out the crazy fruit pattern of the background.
Here’s where I immediately got out of my league. Putting all the triangles together was fine, except there was no room for the seam allowance on the points. It didn’t matter on the base sides, but the tops of each triangle got chopped off.
To fix the flat tops, I folded each column in on itself to create a new top for each triangle. I sewed them down with a top-stitch in a contrasting red thread.
The back was a basic stripe, but I was glad how well it matched the colors of the front.
The embroidered name didn’t come out perfectly, but it had a touch of the Star Wars font, which went well with Harrison’s (parent’s) hobbies.